Monday, April 7, 2008

My reply to Jason

Jason,
Here's my opinion for whatever it's worth: the cotton test can help you determine whether you want to follow through with an implant. It is important for determining the size and location of an implant. Since more is being placed in your nose, rather than removing a critical structure as in a turbinectomy, chances are you will only improve. It is adding some needed tissue inside your nose that can partially restore functions. The implant would only make you worse if too much is put in, but this can always be taken out later on if need be.

You mentioned sleep, your earaches and your throat, wondering the effect an implant has on these. In my experiences, the implant has improved my sleep to an extent, as it does increase resistance and helps direct airflow in a more orderly patterns, but has had little effect on my earaches. I still have them. Yet the resistance does seem to have helped my voice get closer to normal most of the time. I have thinner mucus due to increased moisture and heat in my nose, but I do still experience postnasal drip. The jury is still out, in my view, on whether the implants help my throat and perhaps that is because the postnasal drip still impacts upon my throat. I am visiting Dr. Tichenor (http://www.sinuses.com/) who wrote the introduction to my book on April 17th to get further opinion on my ears, nose and throat and will report back here after that. My ears and throat tend to be my most troubling symptoms at present, although I have greatly improved over the years thanks in part to the implants. Going to New York City will not only be helpful for some answers with respect to my nose, but it is also a good opportunity to have fun and it is a time for my father and I to bond.

In the meantime, a friend of mine has started a blog. Check it out: http://emptynosesyndromehope.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

js said...

Thank you Chris for your candid evaluation of nasal implants. I have two goals for the implants and they are: to stop the rush of cold air and to get a better nights sleep... thats it. I know these are very modest expectations but with exercise, diet, and using the survival tips, I can manage my other symptoms.

If there is anything I have learned from my ordeal, it is to be a very informed patient. I feel I am in a much better position to decide on the implants. So thank you.

On a different note, there are studies out now that state people should be taking their allergy medication at night, especially if you have hay fever. Symptoms for hay fever begin early in the moring and taking your meds at night will ensure that the "blocker" is already activated within your body.

I have blogged earlier about Sublingual Immunotherapy and I am very happy to say that our pediatrician is now offering this therapy for children in the area. I am very thankful because my daughter, who will be four this month, already suffers from allergies.

Not only do I suffer from ENS but I am also a die hard CUBS Fan. I guess a double whammy for me, but hey, this is the year!!! GO CUBS!

Jason

>